10.13.2011

Count your blessings

So midterms were yesterday and I've been pretty stressed about two particular tests. It's hard not to be when your teacher says "Just to let you know, the average for this test is a 65%. It's really really REALLY hard and you probably don't have a prayer at passing". Okay he didn't really say that last part to that extent, but pretty much scared the heck out of the class.

So yesterday my day's schedule went like this...
6:30 a.m. wake up and study/shower/pray for divine help on my exams
7:30 a.m. go to the college and study study study
11:00 a.m. take incredibly hard test
1:00 p.m. take another incredibly hard test
2:00 p.m. haul my tush to work
6:00 p.m. haul my tush to a Kalamity performance
8:00 p.m. maybe if I'm lucky see my husband for 2 seconds
8:30 p.m. adult hip hop class preparing for our FLASH MOB
9:30 p.m. Kalamity practice
11:00 p.m. Go home and die

I was feeling pretty bad for myself. It seems like just when I start feeling that way, Heavenly Father springs into action and teaches me a lesson. I remember praying on my way to school for help throughout the day to just make it through and on time to all of my obligations. I was still throwing my own pity party though.
I work at a bank so I get the chance to interact with a lot of people every day. Mostly because of our branch location, we have an older clientele and frequently see the same people on a day to day basis. One of the first clients that walked in was a man that we see all the time. As an ex navy seal, he is in his 60's, but has the body of a 30 year old. He is one of the toughest people I've every met but also one of the nicest. My co-worker greeted him and asked how he was doing and instead of his cheerful response, he answered with sadness in his eyes that he was having a lousy day. He then told us that his sweet wife had passed away that morning. I could hardly believe it.
Then Tom walked in the branch. We see Tom almost every day and he's always got a grin from ear to ear and loves talking with us. He too walked in a little somber. I asked him how he was doing and that he was looking a little down. He then told us that he woke up that morning and went out to his truck, but it was gone. Someone had stolen his truck that night. I couldn't believe that I was feeling bad about my day a couple minutes earlier. My guilt and sadness for these two clients/friends almost brought me to tears. I don't believe Heavenly Father allowed these bad things happen to them to teach me a lesson but I do believe He placed them in my day to make me grateful for my blessings. When you think you've got it bad, it's not hard to find someone who has got it far worse. I'm grateful for the reminder.
Count those blessings.

1 comment:

  1. gah, so so sad. People really have it hard! I need to count every blessing too.

    ReplyDelete