3.25.2011

365 days ago.

Today is the one year mark of Broc officially becoming a RM!

I asked him how he was feeling one year ago and the first word that came out of his mouth was "tired".
For those who don't remember one year ago or never heard the story, here it is.
Bear with me.

Broc was originally scheduled to come home the day he left which was April 30th. He got news in January that he might be sent home a month early due to transfers. So for a few months no one knew exactly how much time was left. About 3 weeks before, we all got news that Broc would be coming home on March 24th. I was ecstatic about the news but also very anxious. I think any girl who waited for a missionary can relate to that feeling. Right mom?

I spent all week/month picking out the outfit I'd be wearing when he got off the plane and the days thereafter. The night of the 23rd I was sitting in the living room of my Provo apartment. Katie and I checked the flights to make sure all was good
and that he really would be getting home. It was and he would be.
at least we thought.

The next morning I was on my way to class all done up and ready because I'd be leaving straight to STG and drive straight to the hill top airport (R.I.P). I got a call from my mom.
"He's not coming home today"
Wow. that would be my luck. First he went 10,748 miles away. The furthest mission from church headquarters. I should have known something like this would happen.
"His flight was delayed in South Africa and that caused him to miss his flight in Paris".
I was freaking out. Only because I was so darn mad this was happening. And then is when the worry kicked in. Where was he? Was he okay? Does he have a place to stay?

His sweet mom Jilynne of course was doing the same worrying but x 100 and actually did something about it. Because she's a mom. That's what they do. She knew that he would be landing in Washington DC before the night was over. She spent a long time calling people and finally got a hold of a nice lady from church headquarters who was in charge of missionary travel. She wasn't sure what she could do for Broc but guaranteed she would try the best she could to help calm Jilynne's worries.

This is Broc's side of the story "I had to split up with the couple that I was traveling with in South Africa so I knew the rest of my trip would be by myself. When I got to Paris I wandered around the airport for forever because no one would help me and I couldn't speak enough French to help myself. After hours of frustration (I don't like the french now) I finally got onto a plane to DC. When I landed I had gone more than 24 hours without sleep in the same suit I had put on almost 2 days prior. I had no idea what I would do in DC. Where I would stay. If I even had enough money to get a hotel room to just rest my eyes for a few hours. But not long after I got off the plane I saw a man in a suit with a familiar name tag that yelled "Elder!" to me. I knew that was one of the tender mercies of the Lord... and my mom. It just happened to be the Mission President in DC. It was late and he took time out of his incredibly busy schedule to pick up not even one of his own missionaries. My eyes flooded with tears. He asked me if I had eaten yet and of course I hadn't for some time so he took me straight to Wendy's. I don't know if he realized that I hadn't had American food in 2 years so I was both excited and nervous for what it would do for my stomach. He gave me his cell phone and told me to call my parents. We went back to his home through all the beautiful trees of Virginia to a house far bigger and nicer than I had seen in a long time. I slept a few short hours before I was taken back to the airport to head home."

It just so happens that my Grandpa Wade was the mission president 5 or 6 years ago and this was their house!! I have had christmas in that house before. Talk about coincidence!

Broc was now scheduled to land in STG on the 25th at noon. I drove home the night before and surprisingly slept great. I remember waking up, going to the gym with Dani, getting ready and drove myself to the airport. Jessica and I had always talked about what that drive would be like. I couldn't believe how calm I was. The calmness left as soon as I stepped into the airport. Soon there was a whole boat load of people there to welcome Elder Hafen :) I don't even know what was going through my mind. When the plane landed I started to feel myself stop breathing and of course Broc would be the one to wait on the plane just to drag out everyone's anticipation. There were a few business men who got off that psyched us out in their suits. But not too long after off stepped Elder Broc Hafen. He was wearing his gray suit that he had made in Mada that I had heard so much about.
He was much skinnier than when he left and although it showed on his face that he had been restlessly traveling for 3 days, he was glowing.

I loved this day 365 days ago.
Welcome home for good Broc.
I love you.


1 comment:

  1. Aww...it's so romantic! Those are some good memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete